Sunday, October 31, 2010

Halloween Bah Humbug

I think most of you know that Halloween is not one of Brian and I's favorite holidays. In fact, Brian is always looking for excuses to skip it and I am never far behind in his plan. Since we have kids though, we have tried not to totally deprive them of the fun and if you remember this, even dressed them up and took them to the ward party last year. This year, however, we are being our lame selves. Halloween falls on a Sunday, which means we weren't going trick or treating that day (since we believe in keeping Sunday as a special family day and trick or treating didn't fall under what we thought was appropriate Sunday activities for our family). Clark's school doesn't allow costumes at school, so they have costume free Halloween parties at school and though they are doing a fun Halloween carnival for the kids at night when costumes are allowed, they are actually doing it on Halloween which again means on Sunday, so that was out. Then our new ward is not doing a Halloween party either (since apparently the Activity Director hates Halloween as much or even maybe more than Brian and I), so there you have it. This mom's perfect reason not to make, buy or create any costumes this year and not totally feel bad about it.
So as to assure you that we are not totally mean, awful parents who deprive their children of all fun,
we had a fun family night.
I bought the boys each their own bag of candy and explained that we weren't going to dress up this year and go out trick or treating...and when Clark saw his bag of candy he was perfectly fine with that idea.
After a yummy dinner together, we had a few pieces of candy and then headed to Mom and Dad's room to cuddle on the bed and watch a new movie none of us had seen before.
We rented Tale of Despereaux, curled up with some popcorn and enjoyed the movie with all the lights off in the house of course.
Clark really liked the movie, Logan did ok and Mom and Dad liked it as well, so overall it was a very successful night and everyone is happy.
So there you have it...we might be Bah Humbug, but we enjoyed our "Halloween" night and hope you did too!
Happy Halloween!

5 comments:

Lisa said...

Aw,SAD!! Sorry, Brandon and I are Halloween freaks! But, I am glad you still enjoyed a fun evening with the family. :)

wendy_d23 said...

I am so glad halloween is over, its my least favorite holiday. At least here in Utah, the kids got to go trick or treating on Sat!

Megan said...

This sounds like a perfect Halloween to me! Although I did have to get my boys Halloween costumes I think your way of celebrating the holiday is a pretty great idea! Glad you survived another year of Halloween festivities! ;)

Tara and Orlando said...

I'm not the biggest Halloween fan either. Definately my least favorite holiday. But Dallin loves it and the ward had a party.

Sarah said...

Sounds like you guys moved to the right place. :) j/k If the boys were happy, and you guys were happy, that is a win-win.