Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Teacher's gift

A few weeks ago some of the mom's of the preschool kids in Clark's class got together and thought it might be nice to go in on a gift for Miss Jesika from all the kids. After some thought we came up with planter boxes for her for her front porch.
Another mom and I were took on the project together to get the gift together. We got one of the other Mom's whose family owns a hardware store to get us a good deal on 2 planter boxes and then planned to get some flowers and have each child make a personal card from them to Miss Jesika to put in the planters as well.
Sounded simple enough. I got a good deal on flowers during Memorial Day sales, so really the present ended up being super cheap when we split it 8 ways between all the kids.
I was really stressed and was even managing to keep said plants alive for the 5 days they were at my house (big accomplishment in my house!)
Then the preschooler of the other mom who was supposed to help put these things all together ended up getting super sick and missed about a week of school leading up graduation (so since I really didn't want her to share the germs over here I said I could just get it put together and would see her for graduation assuming her daughter felt better by then).
So Wednesday comes and I pick up the 2 planter boxes and dirt from the other mom at the hardware store and come home to get things together. At this point I had 3 out of 8 cards from the kids and still hadn't started the parents card (we thought it would be nice to do one card all the parents could sign as well as the ones from the kids). So that afternoon when Logan was sleeping, I got busy on the parent card....or maybe got carried away! 4 hours later the card was done and this is what I came up with:

Front
 
inside

I obviously had way too much fun with my cricket....but in case anyone was wondering whether or not I like it, yes I love my cricket!
Anyway back to the card. I think it turned out super cute and though the critters where a little time consuming and Clark was upset I didn't do more, I thought it was fun to have the 8 kids represented on the parent card as well.
Then that night I got busy planting the plants into the 2 planter boxes. I didn't get any great picture of them at my house, but didn't remember to snap a quick picture of one of the planters at school the next day after we had presented it to Miss Jesika.
I thought they turned out really cute especially since I had never planted flowers in a box before or really at all so I thought I did a pretty good job of getting flowers that worked and looked together and got them all in without killing any flowers which was also a bonus. Then the added touch of the cards from each child just made them super cute I think.
Plus Jesika loved them and is super excited to have flowers at her house this summer, so I call that I pretty successful teacher gift! (Not sure I'll take on such a big teacher gift every year, but this one worked out pretty well in the end.)

2 comments:

Mom & Dad J. said...

Wow that was a big project accomplish. The planter turned out very nice. I am glad your cricket machine is being put to good use.I will take some lessons.
Now that the moms know what kind of work you do LOOK OUT..they will have you be in charge each year of the teacher gift. Way To Go!!! mom j

Amee said...

Very clever Natalie! Super cute planer box!