This year we decided we were planting a garden. We have always been in limbo the last few summers and not really sure if we were staying/moving or what, so this summer we decided we are definitely stable enough, so the garden was put on the to do list....problem was we just had to decide how/where.
Our yard is all clay dirt...not the best for growing, so we needed to find the best place to build a garden and contain soil.
Solution...on top of our 4 foot retaining wall that goes around one side and along the back of our yard.
Here are some before pictures:
![]() |
| Corner of retaining wall in the back yard |
![]() |
| Side yard retaining wall looking from the front yard toward the back |
(The spot the above picture was taken is where we think Clark was standing in previous story when he saw Dad walking away.)
![]() |
| Side yard again looking towards the front drive way. |
And some pictures of once the trench was dug before we filled in the planting soil:
Add in the soil:
This back corner we dug the holes extra deep so this is where the carrots and onion go.
Onions....I think
![]() |
| Pea Plants |
![]() |
| Strawberry Flowers |
I must say I like the built in height on the garden on top of retaining wall, sure will make weeding easier! :)
And then we also recently added a mount of dirt in a separate area of the yard where we planted zucchini and cantaloupe...the ones that more space:
Hopefully they'll poke their heads up soon as well.
So there you have it...our garden. Hopefully in a few more weeks we'll have produce to share from success, but one thing is for sure I have one happy Daddy who loves his garden and two happy boys who love to help!













6 comments:
Good for y'all! I soooo don't have a green thumb. I love all the fresh veggies...just don't want to grow them! Ha!
We haven't done a garden yet for the same reason. What a fun project (and a lot of work), but I am sure the boys will be more than willing to help. :)
Oh sweet!!! These look amazing! I told Gram J I was going to try out my green thumb for the first time and plant some tomatoes. Hope they grow!
AHh Totally jealous!! Someday we will plant a garden and stop paying 3.00 for bell peppers! :)
Wow. Very impressive. We just barely started thinking about our garden. We are weeks behind you, but thanks for the motivation- your garden looks great!
Dad & I have just harvested our first crock neck squash & zuccini. Our tomatoes will be ripe in a couple of weeks.
Looks like you chose the best place for a garden. How smart to have the advantage with standing for pulling weeds. I can't believe how things just sprout & pop out of the earth because you live in "Eden". We are glad you are trying gardening. You will have probably more success than any of us in your climate.
Post a Comment